Tier 1 Card Review #1: Bottle of Wishes

aiden thorneHey there Kaijudo Duelists, Aiden Thorne here and today we will be going over a new mini series I wanted to start, "Tier 1 Card Reviews". You are going to quickly find that my views vary greatly compared to most of the other competitive players out there. Frankly, I don't believe our meta is as diverse and healthy as everyone claims it to be; just because your local has different decks every week doesn't mean they are all competitive.

I haven't really tested at all for Seattle yet, and I'm still quite confident in my ability to perform well. I don't know what I'll be playing for the Kaijudo Championship, but for the sake of not spoiling my deck ideas I will be going over an array of cards—even strategies I don't consider competitive; simply because everyone else does.

As a TCG player you have no doubt heard the mention of tiers at one point or another. The tier system is what players use to rate how popular a deck is; the most popular decks are considered “Tier 1.” This might come as an eye-opener to many people, but tiers are often confused and people use them to label the relative strength of a deck; placing the better decks at tier 1. While it makes sense that the stronger decks would be more popular; that is not always the case. Due to this widespread confusion on the tier system, for the purpose of this article I will use the tier system to rate cards based on their relative strength and likelihood to win.

So let's get started!

Tier 1 Card Review #1: Bottle of Wishes

bottle of wishes[ccProd]Bottle of Wishes[/ccProd] - To start out I'd like to pick one of the most controversial cards I could, [ccProd]Bottle of Wishes[/ccProd], and this is one of the most misunderstood cards in all of Kaijudo; our player base just can not comprehend when luck can be swayed in your favor. This card is a 'luck sack', but more often than not it is easy to tell if casting the card will benefit you. So for all of you confused on why this card is one of the most powerful cards in the game, let me explain it to you: This card wins games that you should lose.

Let's look at an example or two quickly, how often have you been in a dominant position in a match that suddenly took a turn for the worst? It doesn't really happen all that often, except for when one specific card is involved—[ccProd]Bottle of Wishes[/ccProd]. Every time this card gets cast I immediately start trying to figure out how likely I am to get put in a terrible situation; most times I'm pretty safe, but when I'm attacking it becomes exponentially more likely that a flip could turn the game around. This becomes especially true if your opponent plays cards like [ccProd]Andromeda of the Citadel[/ccProd], [ccProd]Infernus the Awakened[/ccProd], [ccProd]King Tritonus[/ccProd], [ccProd]Orion, Radiant Fury[/ccProd], [ccProd]Kurrugar of the Hordes[/ccProd], [ccProd]Issyl of the Frozen Wastes[/ccProd], [ccProd]Squillace Scourge[/ccProd], or [ccProd]Infernus the Immolator[/ccProd]; these cards each either generate immediate advantage and setup powerful field position or they generate situations that could potentially promise the game state changes, and with them coming out on your turn it means they'll get a chance to start immediately applying pressure and changing the game state further. I've personally been in some of these situations, and it is irritating; though I have also been against rush decks with no shields on turn 5 and few plays to keep me alive, sometimes I cast Bottle of Wishes and hope for the best—you would be surprised how often 'luck plays' turn into "Statistics were on my side."

The counter-argument is that you could just as easily flip a [ccProd]Nix[/ccProd] or a [ccProd]Logos Scan[/ccProd], and while that is a true statement; anyone with any knowledge of their deck or skill at math can figure out how likely they are to flip a card that would be relevant. Statistics only mean so much though, and even if you have a 99% chance of flipping a card that could be game breaking, you still might flip the 1% whiff. Nothing is ever absolute and that is generally why [ccProd]Bottle of Wishes[/ccProd] should rarely see play by being casted from the hand—there will almost always be a better play. The true strength as we mentioned earlier, is the fact that [ccProd]Bottle of Wishes[/ccProd] can generate advantage on your opponent's turn; almost any card you can flip in most decks will be relevant.

Now let's look at how to play [ccProd]Bottle of Wishes[/ccProd] effectively:
When you cast [ccProd]Bottle of Wishes[/ccProd] while your opponent has no field and you whiff, that's entirely your fault. It's not the card being bad—it was you casting a potential -1 and not considering that your deck runs removal, if you had no other plays you were better off ending your turn. [ccProd]Bottle of Wishes[/ccProd] is the type of card that requires perfect knowledge of your deck, every time you are considering casting this card you should be asking yourself "What are the cards I could flip that wouldn't give me an advantage?" If your opponent has a field and hand then you are in the a position where there is likely no more than 3-4 cards that would have zero effect; now if we factor in the fact the game has gone on at least five turns and subtract the amount of cards we've seen from our chances to flip, we will generally have an idea of what could come out.

I've won more than my fair share of games by casting [ccProd]Bottle of Wishes[/ccProd] and I was originally one of the first people to argue against it being a good card. So many cards have come into play effects and when [ccProd]Bottle of Wishes[/ccProd] is casted by a player who considered what they might flip, it is on an entirely different level of dangerous.

I hope you guys enjoyed the first installment of my mini-series! As you can see, I intend to pick cards that may be controversial, but I feel this information will benefit the community as a whole. Maybe the nay-sayers will understand why this card is so dreaded, and maybe those who read this will have some information to argue back against them on the cut-throat Kaijudo forums.

I'll end each installment with a personal story I have about the cards I looked at, for this first one I'll be mentioning a friend who has been dabbling in the game for about a month now. Originally he never understood why I hated [ccProd]Bottle of Wishes[/ccProd] so much, but after a month of playing against and spectating games where it just created unrealistic scenarios, he has come over to my side of holding his breath every time someone casts it!

Aiden_Thorne
I'm Andy Criss, also known as Aiden Thorne to the Kaijudo community. I am currently a full time student who works as a part time writer/editor—I also write A LOT about Kaijudo. I've been the administrator of a Kaijudo fan website/forum since before the game was released, this was because I was a strong advocate of Duel Masters. Though Kaijudo is not the only game I play, I often find success in MtG and other popular games. I am well known throughout the Kaijudo community for being a competitive player with great insight; I was a Pojo.com Card of the Day writer, I am article writer for Kaijudo.com, and I am known on youtube.com as GatesKaijudo—a hub that I keep exclusively for competitive content.
Aiden_Thorne

Latest posts by Aiden_Thorne (see all)

Discussion

comments